Insurance Disputes & Bad Faith
Our firm’s practice includes the representation of plaintiffs against insurance companies. The firm has not and never will represent an insurance company.
Insurance issues are involved in nearly every aspect of injury related litigation. Consequently, our work in assisting plaintiffs collect insurance is a natural extension of the work we do for plaintiffs in injury and wrongful death claims on a routine basis.
We have a particular interest in cases that involve unfair claim settlement practices, or what is often characterized as bad faith. Under Indiana law unfair claim settlement practices include:
- Misrepresenting insurance policy provisions relating to coverage
- Failing to acknowledge and act reasonably promptly upon communications with respect to claims
- Failing to adopt reasonable standards for the prompt investigation of claims
- Refusing to pay claims without conducting a reasonable investigation
- Failing to affirm or deny coverage of claims within a reasonable time
- Not attempting in good faith to effectuate prompt, fair, and equitable settlements of claims
- Compelling insureds to institute litigation to recover insurance benefits
- Failing to promptly settle claims, where liability has become reasonably clear
- Failing to promptly provide a reasonable explanation of the basis for denying a claim
The firm is available to assist in the collection of life, accidental death, health, and disability insurance. We also assist clients in making property insurance claims, fire loss claims, and claims of bad faith on the part of an insurance company.
Self Help Legal Care.
For more specific examples of the areas of law in which we concentrate, the firm has compiled a list of notable cases for your review.