Insuring Your Property


Transcript: We frequently come into situations in representing our clients where they have forgotten to secure the right kind of insurance coverage for themselves. And in particular, what we find is if people are cohabitating or simply roommates in an apartment or at a home and the person with the title of the home has insurance on that home, that insurance does not automatically extend to the roommate or the person that’s cohabitating in that home. And what we would advise is to check with your own insurance policy salespeople, and only those who have sold insurance to the particular owner of the property and make sure that you are covered if you happen to be cohabitating or a roommate on that policy. You can often purchase a rider or addendum to a policy to make sure you’re covered. And if you are not covered, you might not be covered not simply for your property damage, but you might not be covered for your own negligence if you do something on the property that injures a guest. So check with the supplier of the insurance policy on the property to see if you are covered. If you are not, see if there is a way that you can pay an additional premium to get covered. And that goes for people who are simply leasing an apartment. If there is a fire in an apartment, the landlord will be protected. You as the tenant won’t be protected by an insurance policy the landlord has. You have to have your own insurance policy and that would cover your contents. If you don’t have insurance coverage, you can be in a bad situation if there’s a loss, if there’s a theft, if there’s a fire, if there’s a hurricane. Make sure you get insurance if you think you need it and don’t just assume that there’s insurance there to cover you.

[tweetthis] [/tweetthis]