Liability of Autonomous Vehicles Makers
The safety of driverless cars: five key points to consider:
1. Reduction in Human Error: Most car accidents are caused by human error. Distracted driving, driving under the influence, or poor judgment. Autonomous vehicles rely on sensors, algorithms, and machine learning. They have the potential to reduce human error crashes.
2. Advanced Safety Features: Driverless cars come with automatic braking, collision avoidance systems, and 360-degree sensor coverage. This can enhance passenger safety.
3. Testing and Regulations: Autonomous vehicles are tested to ensure safety. These vehicles are subject to regulatory standards that require passenger safety.
4. Challenges and Limitations: Autonomous vehicles do not deal well with extreme weather conditions, or complex urban environments. Mistakes can result in fatalities.
5. Cybersecurity Risks: Hacking or cyberattacks that could compromise passenger safety.
When a driverless (autonomous) car is involved in a crash, determining who is liable can be complex and depends on the laws of the jurisdiction where the accident occurrs.
Here are four potential parties to be held responsible:
1. Manufacturer of the Autonomous Vehicle.
2. Software Developer.
3. Owner of the Vehicle.
4. Other Parties: Driver involved in the accident, entities responsible for road maintenance, or even the municipality if poor road design or signage played a role.
The Law Offices of David W. Holub is a personal injury law firm located in Merrillville, Indiana, focused on providing efficient and effective client-centered representation. Our mission is to provide top-quality legal representation, which includes an uncompromising pursuit of our client’s legal interests while being accessible and attentive to our clients during times of personal challenge.
The firm concentrates in personal injury cases of all types, medical malpractice, and wrongful death litigation. We work tirelessly to serve each client aggressively and with empathy, to communicate regularly and clearly, and to obtain prompt and favorable results, while adhering to the highest standards of excellence and integrity. Our team considers it a high honor to be called upon to serve our clients whom we often come to regard as our friends.
If you’ve been injured and are looking for answers, we invite you to make use of the information on our website and to call our law office at (219) 736-9700 to schedule a time to talk directly to us and see firsthand if we are the right law firm for you.
If you would like to learn more about personal injury law, we encourage you to listen to our Personal Injury Primer Podcast where we break down the law into simple terms, provide legal tips, and discuss topics related to personal injury law. And read “Fighting For Truth: A Trial Lawyer’s Insight Into What It Takes To Win” an entertaining and enlightening book pulling readers into the courtroom giving them a glimpse of the legal process and what it takes to win at trial.